PennCoat Solutions – Chemical Resistant Top CoatPenncoat Inc
Chemical Resistant Epoxy Floor Top Coat
Many industrial plants, consumer and commercial locations, and research laboratories face concerns arising from chemical spills that can damage or destroy floor surfaces. The ideal solution is to install a chemical resistant epoxy flooring with a topcoat that resists many types of chemical spills. Dur-A-Gard Novolac is a leading topcoat product that provides superior resistance to a wide spectrum of chemical agents. The unique composition of Novolac Topcoat, which has low volatile organic compounds and low odor, is responsible for its broad resistance to chemicals, solvents, stains and high temperatures when applied over epoxy coatings. It also resists stripping and protects against sun damage.
Let’s take a closer look at the powerful ingredients that go into the production of two-part, clear or pigmented Dur-A-Gard Novolac:
- Diglycidyl Ether Bisphenol A Epoxy Resin: A mixture of glycidol, a stabilizer and demulsifier, and bisphenol A, a hard substance soluble in organic solvents. The mixture results in a transerified resin which avoids the toxicity of handling phosgene and other substances while providing a tough epoxy surface.
- Aromatic Glycidyl Ether Diluent: This hardener confers strong mechanical properties and enhanced resistance to chemicals and high temperatures. The diluent reduces Novolac’s viscosity and ensures a reasonable set up time and even flow.
- Novolac Epoxy Resin: This is resin, composed of phenol and formaldehyde. It provides hardness, thermal stability and is impervious to chemicals.
- Titanium Oxide: Provides protection from UV rays and sunlight. It also acts a deodorizer, germ-killer, protection from airborne pollutants and anti-fouler. Used to provide a white pigment if desired.
- Calcium Carbonate: Creates a water-resistant surface coating.
- Aluminum Silicate: Helps provide a glossy finish.
- Barium Sulfate: Adds dense hardness and can work with titanium oxide to form pigments.
- Inorganic Iron Oxides: Adds durable pigmentation
- Chromium Oxide: Another pigment
Novlac resists a large number of chemicals, including:
- Caustic soda
- Coffee and cola
- Gasoline, motor oil, transmission oil and heating oil
- Magnesium, sodium and potassium hydroxide
- Mineral oil and spirits
- Propylene glycol
Often, large pharmaceutical facilities and food manufacturing plants deal with corrosive and erosive chemicals. And because of Novolac’s chemical resistance properties, and PennCoat’s installation experience and expertise, floors in these facilities can be expected to last a lot longer than without this top coat.